Sunday, November 1, 2009

REST today!

Swine Flu - courtesy Tricey
Please read:
Controlling the Tornado: Planning Your Training: Part 1
by Matt Foreman

This article will be focused on planning out your training program. And you’re out of your mind if you think I’m going to start with a slogan that you’ve already heard a million times like "Failing to plan is planning to fail." This slogan is a proven truth, but it should be painfully obvious. I shouldn’t have to remind you that planning is important any more than I should have to remind you not to eat yellow snow.

However, there is obviously a good reason why slogans like this are used so often. Most people understand that having a solid plan of attack before beginning any endeavor is going to put you in a much better position to be successful. When we listen to interviews with people who have been highly accomplished in their fields, whether the field is athletics or business, one of the most common aspects of their achievements is precise planning. I can’t remember ever reading an article about an Olympic gold medalist where the athlete said, "For my workouts, I just kinda come to the gym and do whatever I feel like doing that day." Bill Gates never told the world, "I just hired some people to help me make computers. I don’t know how the hell my company grew so much." Nope, sorry. Elite personalities usually approach things from the opposite direction.

Take Lance Armstrong, for example. This guy won seven Tour de France races while pedaling with only one testicle. I once read that one of Armstrong’s nicknames is "Mr. Millimeter." People started calling Lance by this name because of his obsessive, fanatical attention to proper preparation. In all aspects of his training and performance, Armstrong analyzes and refines every single detail down to razor-sharp perfection.


Read on at: http://www.performancemenu.com/articles/index.php?show=shorty&shortyID=59

1 comment: